At LWS Academy we believe that for our students to gain the greatest benefits from their education, it is vital that they attend regularly. It is very important that families recognise their responsibility to ensure their child attends school regularly. 90% attendance and above is a realistic and achievable target for all students that allows for the occasional emergency or sick absence.
A copy of our attendance policy can be found here
A breakdown of what 90% attendance looks like:
90% attendance = ½ day a week missed
90% attendance = 4 weeks missed every year
90% attendance = ½ a school year missed every 5 years
* For every 17 missed days of school a year = 1 GCSE grade drop in achievement; this could be the difference between a C and a D grade!
- Only let your son stay at home if he is genuinely ill
- If your son is going to be absent please inform the school before 9am on 01489 582684 to advise us of why he is absent and when you expect him to return.
- Make medical appointments outside of school hours.
What to do if there is a problem with your son’s attendance…
- Talk calmly to your son and listen to the explanation. Contact his tutor to address the reason for his non-attendance.
- Your son’s welfare is important to us. We can help you resolve issues and can offer lots of support for you and your child. You are not alone!
If you require support or guidance with attendance then please refer to our attendance policy below for best practice and key contacts.